Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Blog 1

My name is Ryan Kilbane and I am currently a junior with senior credit majoring in mechanical engineering here at Ohio University. I have always been very mechanically inclined and also good at math, so mechanical engineering seems to be the perfect major, at least I have thought that so far, I have had mechanical engineering declaired as my major since I applied. My first engineering professor defined mechanical engineering and solving societies problems using technology. This is the most basic, yet the most useful description of the major that I have yet to find. As a mechanical engineer I more or less look at the world as it currently is and try to fix the problems people are having and just make life all around easier by designing something. I'm not sure yet as to what specific field I want to go into. I spent two breaks working at a consulting engineering firm and hated it so that's out. Consulting engineers layout the ventilation systems, electrical wiring and the plumbing on the blueprints of a building that is being built or remodeled. My job was to spend all day in front of a computer screen and draw lines on AutoCad. I am much more interested in the workings of an engine and things to that extent so I think that finding a job with a company like Edelbrock would be something that I would be much more interested in, but I'm always keeping my eyes open just incase there's something else that is more apealing. The main goal of mine is to use to money from the job I get when I graduate to pay for finishing getting my pilots lisence and one day flying commercial freight. Flying is really expensive and I figured that engineering would probably pay enought that I would be able to afford the rest of my training and that way I could get my dream job as a pilot.

No comments: